Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Deadly messenger...

Sending a deadly message, to the Daily Messenger.


This was in one of my ugg boots I wear in the house when I returned home from the store. It snapped at me, and hooked onto the leather gloves I was wearing at the time. Close call indeed.

The red-headed krait (Bungarus flaviceps), is a large venomous elapid snake with dramatic coloration. The red-headed krait can grow to a length of up to 2.1 metres (7 ft). It lives in lowland rain forest, including those on islands, but it is considered uncommon. It feeds primarily on specific snakes, probably semiaquatic and fossorial snakes. In Southeast Asia, the red-headed krait occurs in Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia (Sumatra), with a subspecies in Borneo. The venom potency is little-studied, as bites from this species are extremely rare. 
  
The guy was young, about two feet long, and more deadly than the adult version, as they keep pumping venom in you until they drain dry. How this little viper, from Thailand, took home in my house booties in the 20 minutes I was gone to get Passover stuff. Well, it just doesn't happen.

He's in the yard now, somewhere, in the pouring rain. 

-----------

I just got put through the chat ringer with someone trying to doubt attack me for 30 minutes on how this couldn't possibly be a Krait. I already did that to myself. I looked at dozens of similar snakes, but none of them had ALL OF THE FEATURES this little monster had. You hear me Nater?

I know what attacked me, I know what I saw. Grabbing a camera was the last thing on my mind at the time. Only a few minutes later did I wish I had the thing handy. But that's the way it is...the proof is either not in hand, or you think of it later. Sorry, I don't have a witness.

Maybe I'll get lucky, it will show itself in the yard, and I'll get the pictures before it gets me.

It's still out there, in the rain. Hope it leaves the cats alone.